Sunday, November 16, 2014

Live like you're dying




I've been given a blessing.  A stark reality that life really is short. When you become chronically sick, have cancer,  sometimes even lose a person very close to you,


Life becomes fragile
precious
short
sacred
a gift


What you use to think was important, no longer seems important anymore.
Other things, simple things become more important.



Here's something that might offend your core:
 You aren't in control of your life.  
You can't plan your future out because you don't know what that plan might be.






Here's the real truth:

God is in control
God has a plan for you!


I thought I could plan my future. Turns out I was tricked.  It's not true.   What I do have control over is my thoughts, actions and attitude.

What am I doing now?  I'm living to the fullest that I can possibly live with my oppositions in hand.
I pulled out my oil paint and began to do what I've always felt inspired and desired to do. 

Paint for God

I have an opposition in being able to hang out outside, so what am I going to do about it?  I'm going to travel and see new things and not let this thing that's holding me back keep me from living life how I want to- When there's a will, there's a way.

I actually do things now that I've always wanted to do because I'm NOT AFRAID of them anymore.  
If you were going to die tomorrow, what would you have wanted to have done that you didn't because of fear? Fear of being rejected, fear of what people might do or say, fear of the thing itself.

The reason my illness is a blessing is because it's helping me to not live in fear anymore. I may live longer then any of you, who knows, but just the stark reality of the position I'm in right now makes me want to be proactive in creating the life that I want and not worrying about other people and things that may have always held me back.  
God wants us to be happy. He also wants us to learn.  So while we're learning, why not be happy while doing it?

Here's a quick list of what I think you should be doing everyday and living like it's your last:

  • Laugh every day!!   laughter is so helpful and overall makes you feel good and happy
  • Pray- thank God for the wonderful opportunity he has given you to learn the things you have learned in this life and thank him that there will be a happy ending to all the suffering
  • Cry-  whether a good cry or a sad cry, let your emotions out. Don't hang onto all the stuff you're holding inside- let it all out.
  • Meditate- take a moment for yourself and for God. Let him fill you with his love. 
  • Play-  If you had one day left to live, what would you be doing? then do it now!